We're ready to listen
Call today on 0800 085 0226 our complete our enquiry form below and we will give you a call back to discuss suitable solutions to difficult money problems.
From the 1st April 2015, the Low Income Low Asset route to bankruptcy in Scotland is no longer available and has been replaced with the Minimal Asset Process (MAP) solution.
The Minimal Asset Process bankruptcy exists to help a person resolve their unsecured debts which they cannot repay, as long as they meet the criteria. Generally to qualify, you must have a small amount of income and a low value in your assets.
The MAP bankruptcy is cheaper than a certificate of sequestration application. You would need to speak to an approved money advisor who would complete the paperwork online for you. At the same time you would pay the MAP fee which is £90. This has been reduced to £50 until at least March 2021, due to the coronavirus.
Qualify for a Minimal Asset Process (MAP)
There is criteria to be applicable for a bankruptcy via the Minimal Asset Process route. To qualify you must:
- Live in Scotland. If you live elsewhere in the UK you could consider a Debt Relief Order.
- Your debts must not exceed £17,000 and must be at least £1,500. Until the end of March 2021, your debt can be as much as £25,000 or less.
- You are living on a low income. If you’re income is solely state benefits then you will qualify for a MAP if you have been in receipt of these benefits for 6 months. You would also qualify if you have no available money to pay towards your creditors after paying your essential living costs.
- Your car must be worth £3,000 or less. Any other assets must not be valued at more than £2,000 in total, with a single asset not valued at more than £1,000.
- You cannot own a property.
- You cannot have been made bankrupt in the last 5 years.
Advantages Of MAP
- So long as you meet all the requirements, your debt will be written off after 6 months
- If you have no disposable income you will not be asked to make any payments towards your debt
- The creditors are no longer allowed to contact you regarding your debt, which can ease the stress and worry financial problems often cause
- The cost to enter sequestration via the MAP route is cheaper than a certificate of sequestration.
Disadvantages Of MAP
- You will be prevented from becoming a company director while you are in the debt solution and it may affect future job applications.
- The MAP will remain on your credit file for 6 years, making obtaining credit difficult.
- Courts could impose a restriction order which extends the process for up to 15 years, if you don’t abide by the conditions of the MAP.
- If your financial circumstances improve after you have entered the MAP, the insolvency practitioner may ask you to enter certificate of sequestration and make regular payments.
Advice on Minimal Asset Process Bankruptcy
You can seek advice on a Minimal Asset Process bankruptcy from Debt Support Trust on 0800 085 0226. Our debt advisors will explain whether you qualify for the solution and how you can proceed to enter the MAP bankruptcy.
Advice and Support For Debt
You can call to speak to a debt adviser about debt on 0800 085 0226 or complete our enquiry form below and we’ll give you a call back.
We’re here to listen and provide support.
MAP Bankruptcy Examples
Jane contacted us in January 2020, she was widowed with one child, having recently overspent during Christmas Jane was juggling finances in a bid to try and cover the cost of the festive period.
Jane was unemployed and was also renting a 2 bedroom flat, she had no disposable income each month after covering her monthly household essential bills.
It was decided that the minimal asset process (MAP) was the best way forward for Jane at this time; this is because her debt was below £17,000, she had no income other than benefits and had no assets. Jane’s total debt was just less than £15,000 so we advised her that the MAP would be the right solution for her, costing her a one off payment of £90.00 to enter.